|University Honors Guidelines
In order to graduate with University Honors – such designation to appear on the transcript and diploma, the Honors track student must satisfy the following in the last year of study at Drake:
Successfully complete all of the Honors Program track requirements of the Drake Curriculum.
Maintain a 3.5 GPA or higher by the end of the graduating year.
3. Complete Honors 199 – Honors Senior Thesis.
Honors 199 - Honors Senior Thesis Guidelines
The Honors Senior Thesis is a 3 credit hour thesis project undertaken during the fall or the spring semester of the graduating year (senior year).
The Honors Senior Thesis is a project conceived by you in consultation with a select faculty member knowledgeable in the proposed field(s) of study. This faculty member agrees to mentor you and your thesis work towards successful completion. It must be recognized that faculty who agree to mentor the Honors Senior Thesis do so as extra curricula. They are to be recognized for their extraordinary contributions to you and your project. It is your responsibility to seek out faculty scholars who may best guide your work and to bring that faculty scholar on board.
The Honors Senior Thesis most successfully reflects the individual’s field(s) of study in unique and interdisciplinary ways. The student is the “principal creative force behind the work; the project must require intellectual intensity transcending that of the usual undergraduate term paper or creative project”. In addition, “the product must clearly demonstrate the scholarly or essential creative nature of the work and should provide evidence that the student has been challenged”. Finally, “collaborative work with a research or visual arts mentor is acceptable only if the production represents true individual student achievement”.
The Honors Senior Thesis must culminate in some concrete project, written, performed, filmed, art based, or other that is “structured or written according to the professional standards of the field(s) it ultimately represents.” It must “be of such quality that both the Faculty Honors Senior Thesis Mentor and the Director of Honors deem the project to have been successfully completed. The Honors Senior Thesis must earn a B or better.
The Honors Senior Thesis may, in some cases, be cross-listed with a proposed Senior Capstone within the major(s). Approval for cross listing is primarily made by evaluation of the proposed project’s interdisciplinary character. Approval is not made if the capstone project functions only as a replacement of primary Honors Senior Thesis expectations. Approval for cross listing is made by the Director of Honors.
Timeline for Honors Senior Thesis
1.The Honors Senior Thesis must be approved by the Director of Honors before the project begins.
2. It is recognized that conceiving and coordination of the Honors Senior Thesis takes time to organize. Sometimes this is not possible before registration begins. In such cases you may complete the Preliminary Agreement for Honors Senior Thesis. This form is to be turned into and signed by the Director of Honors prior to registration. No meeting with the director is necessary at this time.
3. The Preliminary Agreement for Honors Senior Thesis generates an override so that you may register for Honors Senior Thesis without having yet completed all of the necessary final paperwork for the proposed thesis.
4. Once you have a Faculty Honors Senior Thesis Mentor and once you have settled upon a topic, you must complete the Honors Senior Thesis Contract.
5. You must meet with the Director of Honors to present your project for final approval.
6. The Honors Senior Thesis Contract is to be signed by your Faculty Honors Senior Thesis Mentor before meeting with the Director of Honors for final approval.
7. The Honors Senior Thesis Contract is to be completed and submitted no later than the end of the third week of the semester in which the project it to be completed. At that time course enrollment information will be changed to reflect the Honors Senior Thesis – Honors 199, rather than the generic holding designation generated by the Preliminary Agreement for Honors Senior Thesis.
8. The Director of Honors is available throughout the semester in which you are completing your thesis, however, primary mentorship is with the faculty member you have designated to work with.
9. Upon completion of the Honors Senior Thesis, you must present your project to the Honors community and faculty mentor during one of the scheduled Honors Senior Thesis sessions held during the final few weeks of the semester in which you worked upon and completed your thesis.
10. Presentations run 15 -20 minutes with a 10-minute question and answer period to follow.
12. You will be notified by email once Honors Senior Thesis Presentation sessions and timeslots have been organized. It is up to you to coordinate and choose a time slot that accommodates your faculty mentor. You are encouraged to invite other faculty, friends and family.
Preliminary Agreement for Honors Senior Thesis
Banner ID: _________________________________
Semester and year of proposed Honors Senior Thesis: _______________________
Preliminary and brief description of proposed Honors Senior Thesis:
It is recognized that conceiving and coordination of the Honors Senior Thesis takes time to organize. Sometimes this is not possible before registration begins. In such cases complete the Preliminary Agreement for Honors Senior Thesis.
Submission of this form enables an override so that you may register for Honors 199 prior to the completion of the Honors Senior Thesis Contract.
This form is to be submitted to the Director of Honors for signature.
I agree to have all final paperwork in the form of the Honors Senior Thesis Contract completed by the end of the third week of the semester of my proposed thesis.
I agree to meet with the Director of Honors in person to present my final proposal and the Honors Senior Thesis Contract for approval and signature before the end of the third week of the semester of my proposed thesis.
I agree that no exceptions are made to this time line. If I do not follow these guidelines I will be dropped from Honors 199 and will not be able to complete the Honors Senior Thesis during the above proposed semester.
Signature: __________________________________________ Date: ___________
Director of Honors: ___________________________________ Date: ___________
For office use only:
Override processed on: ___________________________ By: ___________________
Honors Senior Thesis Contract submitted on: ______________________________
HONORS INDEPENDENT STUDY CONTRACT
Honors 199 Honors Senior Thesis Contract
Major Advisor(s) Student Drake ID No.
Local Phone E-mail address
Project or product descriptions are required to complete thesis registration. (Please attach a 1-2 page typed summary, and include a plan for your public presentation; see course description.)
Anticipated completion date
Faculty Project Advisor (Print or type)
Faculty Project Advisor Approval
Honors Director Approval
Indicate whether thesis hours will be completed in HONR 199 or in another area. Please list department, course number, and semester to be registered.
Dept. Number Credit hours (3 required) Semester
For Honors Office Use Only:
Honors presentation completed:
Date Senior Thesis handed in: to Advisor to Honors Office
Honors Program Track of the Drake Curriculum: __________YES ___________NO