Ana səhifə

The life of john snider

Yüklə 31.75 Kb.
ölçüsü31.75 Kb.

John Snider


Married Mary Heron

Their daughter is Harriet Snider who married Joseph Ellis Johnson

Their son is Joel Elmer Johnson who married Mary Elizabeth Hastings

Their daughter is Emily Maude Johnson who married Lester Elden Clement

Their daughter is Alta Clement who married Glade Roundy Willis

Timeline Summary

Feb 11, 1811 Born in Pleasant Vale, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Canada

Feb 28, 1822 Married Mary Heron

Sept 4, 1823 Harriet born

Jun 9, 1826 Edgarton born

May 2, 1828 John Jr. born

1833 Joins John Taylor in search for true religion

1836 Parley P. Pratt visits Toronto area and preaches to religious association that John Snider and John Taylor belong

June 1836 Baptized in Black Creek

Spring 1837 Called to British Isles Mission

Spring 1838 Moved to Far West, Missouri

Spring 1839 Driven from Missouri, moved to Springfield, Illinois

1840 Moved to Nauvoo

1841 Served on personal staff of Joseph Smith as Assistant Aide de Camp in Nauvoo Legion

Jan 19 1841 Revelation to help build Nauvoo House

Mar 26, 1842 Left for England Mission

Jan 23, 1843 Returned to Nauvoo

1844 Moved to Toronto so sons Edgarton and John could learn trade

Fall 1847 Moved to Bonaparte, Iowa

Spring 1848 Moved to Nauvoo

1950 John Sr. moves to California to search for gold

Spring 1951 John Jr. and mother Mary Heron move to Utah in Lorin W. Babbitt Company. John Sr. joins them later

Jan 31, 1852 Mary dies

Mar 11, 1855 John remarries to Sylvia Meacham in Salt Lake City

Dec 18, 1875 John dies
May 24, 2008

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this, I don't check my Yahoo email very often. is a better email address to get me.  I have attached the two documents that I have on John Snider both have very little on Mary Heron.  I also have been to Toronto and found the gravesites of Mary's parents Richard Heron and Harriet Hill.  I have a picture of it somewhere that I can email you if you'd like.  The Heron family was very prominent in the York Ontario area.  Hope this helps.

John Snider was born 11 February 1800 at Pleasant Vale, (Valley) New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Canada. His father is Martin Snider, born about 1748 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. His mother is Sarah Armstrong, born 2 October 1769 between Maine and New Brunswick.

John had six brothers: Jacob, Martin, William, Thomas, George and Elias. His four sisters were: Elizabeth, Mary, Amy, and Sarah. Elizabeth died when 5 years old, Amy at age 17 and Sarah at age 21. His only sister left living died at age 40 in 1835. The boys all lived to be 72 – 85 years except Thomas who died at age 46.

“John Snyder was born in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, November 11, 1800. He removed with his father’s family to Upper Canada, near Toronto. His father died while John was yet a youth, but under the influence of his mother, a woman of strong character and upright life, young Snyder grew to manhood with strong religious sentiments.” (Taken from “History of the Church” by Joseph Smith Vol. 2 page 494).

John, at age 22, married 17-year-old Mary Heron February 28, 1822 in Toronto, Canada. Mary was born November 10, 1804 in York, Ontario, the daughter of Harriet Hill, born about 1784 and Richard Heron, born about 1780. Mary had two sisters: Ann and Elizabeth. Her three brothers were: Richard, Thomas and William. All the children grew to maturity, all married.

John and Mary Snider had three children: Harriet – born September 4, 1823, Edgarton – born 9 June 1826, and married Mary J. McBride, John Jr. – born 2 May 1828 and married Martha L. Babbitt. All three were born in Toronto, Canada. Harriet married Joseph Ellis Johnson.

(HC Vol. 2 – page 494 in footnote) (A former Methodist preacher)

“In 1833 he (John Snider) joined, with the late President John Taylor, and association of students of the scriptures who were seeking for a profounder knowledge of the truth. It was to this association that Elder Parley P. Pratt was directed in 1836 and to whom he so frequently preached the gospel that quite a number of them united with the church, John Snyder among them. Soon after John Snyder was ordained to the priesthood and joined the British mission.”

(Church News – Dec. 14, 1986)

Joseph Fielding remembered the impact of Elder Pratt’s message, “He soon began to open the scriptures to us in a way that we never saw before…”. Isaac Russell stood and proclaimed, “This is the gospel I have been looking for and am ready to live and die by” Samuel Russell (the son of Isaac Russell) has given some of the details of the baptisms in the stream:

Half a mile west of the meeting house and settlement was a little stream called Black Creek, thither Mr. Pratt repaired, baptizing Isaac Russell…Mary, his wife…John Goodson, Joseph Fielding, his sisters Mary and Mercy Fielding, John Taylor, John Snider…and others.” Elder Pratt stated, “We organized a branch of the church, for the people there drank is truth as water, and loved it as they loved life.”

John Snider was baptized June 1836. His daughter Harriet was baptized in 1836 at the age of 13. (Not sure about Mary and the two boys) Thus the gospel of The Church of Jesus Christ was introduced to the Snider family.

(Church News – Dec. 14, 1986)

“Elder Pratt returned to Toronto in the spring of 1837 to call some of those baptized to missions in the British Isles. Heber C. Kimball, one of the twelve, was set apart to preside over the mission, the first foreign mission of the church in the last days. Others called to go with him were: Orson Hyde, Joseph Fielding, Willard Richards, Isaac Russell, John Edward Goodson and John Snyder. (Born at Sussex, King New Brunswick, Canada, to parentage of German extraction who had been loyalists to the king during the Revolutionary War.”

“The seven missionaries took common passage from New York on the “Garrick” and 895 ton sailing vessel…boarding June 29, 1837, but it wasn’t until July 1st that it sailed for England. On July 20, 1837 the “Garrick” anchored in the river Mersey opposite Liverpool, then they went to Preston, about 30 miles from Liverpool”.

In Susan Easton Black’s book, “Who’s Who in the Doc. & Cov.”, it says, “John was converted to Mormonism and baptized in June 1836 by Elder Pratt. By 1837 he was serving his first mission in the British Isles. Despite considerable opposition he was successful in sharing the gospel. By the spring of 1838 he had journeyed to Far West, Missouri, and purchased a farm”. (October 1, 1837 Elder Goodson sailed for America in company with Bro. Snyder.”)

“As mobocracy escalated in Missouri and the Saints were expelled, John sold his farm and moved to Springfield, Illinois.”

“By 1840 John and family had joined the Saints in Nauvoo and by 1841 was serving on the personal staff of the prophet as an assistant aide-de camp in the Nauvoo Legion.”

On 19 January 1841 John Snider was called by revelation to help build the Nauvoo House – D&C 124: 22-23 D&C 124: 60,62

22 – Let my servant George (Miller) and my servant Lyman (Wight) and my servant John Snider, and others, build a house unto my name, such a one as my servant Joseph shall show unto them upon them, upon the place which he shall show unto them also.

23 – And it shall be for a house of boarding, a house that strangers may come from afar to lodge therein; therefore let it be a good house worthy of all acceptations, that the weary traveler may find health and safety while he shall contemplate the word of the Lord.”

60 – And let the name of that house be called Nauvoo House and let it be a delightful habitation for man, and a resting place for the weary traveler, that he may contemplate the glory of Zion and the glory of this, the cornerstone thereof;

62 – Behold, verily I say unto you, let my servant George Miller, and my servant Lyman Wight, and my servant John Snider, and my servant Peter Haws, organize themselves and appoint one of them to be a president over their quorum for the purpose of building that house.

Revelation to John Snyder – Nauvoo, December 22, 1841 (HC Vol. 4 – page 483)

“The word of the Lord came unto Joseph the seer, “Verily thus saith the Lord – let my servant John Snyder take a mission to the eastern continent, unto all the conferences now sitting in that region, and let him carry a package of epistles that shall be written by my servants the twelve, making known unto the Saints their duties concerning the building of my houses, which I have appointed unto you, that they may bring their gold and their silver, and their precious stones and the box tree and the fir tree and all fine wood to beautify the place of my sanctuary, saith the Lord; and let him return speedily with all the means which shall be put into his hands, even so, Amen.”

HC Vol. 4 – page 503-504 January 28, 1842

“I also decided that Elder John Snyder should go out on a mission, and if necessary some one go with him and raise up a church, and get means to go to England, and carry the epistle required in the revelation of December 22nd; and instructed the twelve, Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Wilford Woodruff and Willard Richards being present, to instruct him in these things and if he will not do these things he shall be cut off from the church, and be damned.

Elder Snyder had appeared very backward about fulfilling the revelation concerning him, and felt he could not do it unless the twelve would furnish him means, as all elders were obliged to do when they went on missions or go with out.”

HC Vol. 4 – page 558-564 – The Epistle of the Twelve to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints – March 1842 (The part pertaining to John Snider – p. 561)

“And that our plans may be understood by you, and carried into execution we have sent unto you our beloved brother, Elder John Snyder, the bearer of this epistle, and other epistles also, previously written by us to you; we beseech you, brethren, to receive him as a servant of the most high, authorized according to the kingdom of heaven, and assist him by all lawful means in your power to execute the mission entrusted to him; for great events depend upon his success; but to none will they be greater than to yourselves.

Our authority for thus sending Brother Snyder to you, is found in the “Book of the Law of the Lord””, page 30.

HC Vol. 4 – page 568

Saturday 26 March 1842 – Elder John Snyder received his final instructions from the president, and received his blessing from Elder Brigham Young, with the laying on of the hands of President Joseph Smith, John E. Page and Willard Richards, and started for England this day.

HC Vol. 5 – page 260 “Who’s Who in the Doc. & Cov.”

Monday 23 – “Elder John Snyder returned from his mission to England”. “John sailed from Liverpool to New Orleans with 157 Saints, arriving in Nauvoo on 23 January 1843.”

HC Vol. 5 – page 438 “Who’s Who in the Doc. & Cov.” (John reported June 20, 1843)

Elder John Snyder reported the names of various persons in Great Britain and Ireland who donated various small sums between May and December 1842, as contributions for building the temple, and paid over nine hundred and seventy five dollars and four cents. The names of the donors and amounts are recorded in the “Law of the Lord.”

HC Vol. 5 – page 350

Monday, April 10, 1843 – at 10 A.M. A special conference of elders convened and continued by adjournment from time to time until the 12th. In this conference, “Elders James Allred, John Snider and Aaron Johnson were appointed to administer baptism for the dead in the river while the font could not be used.”

John Snyder (Snider) received a patriarchal blessing 9 March 1842 in Nauvoo by Hyrum Smith.

While John and Mary Snider were living in Springfield, Illinois, Julia Hills Johnson and her children were living there also. Harriet, John and Mary’s daughter, met Joseph Ellis Johnson, son of Julia Johnson, met each other and a friendship developed. Both families moved on to the Nauvoo area in 1840. Harriet and Joseph Ellis were united in marriage October 6, 1840, in Nauvoo with Prophet Joseph Smith performing the ceremony.

From “Who’s Who in the Doc. & Cov.” By Susan Easton Black

On the return of the martyred Joseph’s body to Nauvoo, John Snider was one of the bodyguards.

According to family tradition, John did not remain long in Illinois before returning to Toronto in 1844. “The object being to give the sons…a chance to learn the mason’s trade”, a skill John had learned in his youth. In 1847 he left Toronto and journeyed to Bonapart, Iowa, and then to Nauvoo, where he assisted in disposing of Mormon properties after the exodus of the Saints. In 1850 he left his family to search for gold in California. His wife (Mary) and two sons (Edgarton – age 24 & John Jr. – age 22) joined the Lorin W. Babbitt Company bound for the Salt Lake Valley. Soon after their arrival in the valley they were joined by John, who supported them by building homes.

Two years after their arrival in the Salt Lake Valley, John’s wife, Mary died January 31, 1852 at age 47. John Snider Jr. married a year later. Three years after Mary passed away, John Sr. married Sylvia Ameret Meacham March 11, 1855 in Salt Lake City. They had two children: Martin H. who died at age 9 and John H. who married Annie Brown. John was a high priest, missionary to England, bricklayer. (Information taken from “Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah”)

According to his biographer, Edwin Snider, “John’s death on 18 December 1875 in Salt Lake City was caused by “over exertion after eating a hearty meal.” He died at age 74 and 10 months. John and Mary Heron Snider are buried in the Salt Lake Cemetery.

Another John Snider [1800-1875] Life Sketch
This is the story of John Snider, fifth child of Martin senior, who adopted the Mormon religion and settled in the State of Utah, as written by Edwin G. Snider and copied by Mrs. Pearl [Snider] Dick.
In the year 1836, there visited Toronto, Ontario, a Society composed of men and women who, having become dissatisfied with the churches that they had been attending, met together twice a week for the purpose of discussing topics of religion.
A Mr. John Taylor, his wife and a Mrs. Walton belonged to the group and so did John Snider.
One Sunday evening, Elder Parley P. Pratt, who was a missionary of the Mormon Church at Kirkland, Ohio, and who had been appointed to do missionary work in Canada, was invited to attend one of the Society meetings.
On this occasion, John Taylor led the discussion by reading the text and commenting upon it. This happened to be an account of Philip’s journey to Samaria: “Where is our modern Philip?” asked Mr. Taylor, “Where are our preachers today, authorized by God to Baptize with water for the remission of sin?”
“Where, moreover, is the ancient church with Apostles and Prophets inspired by heaven? Where are the gifts and blessings which Jesus said should follow the true Believers?”
Others present at the meeting made similar remarks, and Elder Pratt, the Mormon Elder, was invited to speak, but declined, owing to the lateness of the hour.
An appointment was made for him later and he spoke on “The Apostasy from the Primitive Church.” After this, he preached twice to the same audience, once on the “Glories of the New Dispensation, as predicted in the Scriptures”, and then on the “Actual Fulfilment of His prophecies in the visions and revelations of our own days.”
The whole local Society was converted, except the Chairman.
John Taylor, his wife and Mrs. Walton were the first to be baptised. As John Snider was a member of this Society, he must have joined the Mormon Church at about the same time. [The foregoing is from a History of the Early Mormon Church in Canada, and is authentic.]
In the fall of 1837, John Snider left Toronto and wintered in a small town near Toronto. In the spring of 1838 he fitted up two, two-horse teams and started for Missouri.
William Henry Snider, a nephew of John Snider, drove one of the teams, although he was not an adherent of the Mormon Church. The little party arrived at their destination in the fall.
John Snider bought a farm with the crops mostly in corn. They were twenty miles from the nearest corn mill and forty miles from the mill at which they could get wheat ground. This trip John had to make for flour because his son, Edgerton, a lad then of about twelve years, would not eat corn bread.
In the spring of 1839, they were warned by their Gentile neighbours that the Mormons had to leave, there being several families of them in the neighbourhood. But John had been informed that he would not be troubled if he did not go.
So he remained for a time, but later in the spring, having sold his farm for the same price he gave for it, he went to Springfield, Illinois where they remained until 1841.
From there, they journeyed to Nauvoo, Illinois, and in 184? The family returned to Toronto, the object being to give the sons Edgerton and John Junior, a chance to learn the masons’ trade [which was also their father’s trade.]
They remained in Toronto until the fall of 1847, when they again faced westward and spent the winter in Bonaparte, Iowa, and in the spring, again went to Nauvoo, Illinois. They remained there until 1850, when John Senior went to California.
In the same year, Edgerton went to Utah. In the spring of 1851, John Junior and his mother, Mary Heron, left by ox team for Utah. Shortly after their arrival there, they were joined by the father, John Senior.
A daughter of John Senior, Harriet, and Edgerton her brother, were both members of the Mormon Church, but up to 1909 [the date of compiling of this record] John Junior was not a member of this Society [this, the writer has from John Junior’s own pen.]
John Senior was a brick-layer by trade, learned in Toronto. He was a Latter-Day Saint of Mormonism and performed two missions to England, one from Toronto, Ontario, and the other from Nauvoo, Illinois.
His standing in the Church was that of High Priest, and he was an officer in the Nauvoo Legion. He became an American citizen after settling in Utah. His death was caused by over-exertion after eating a hearty meal.
[E.G. Snider’s Note: The foregoing account of the introduction of the Latter-Day Saint Religion to Canada in 1836, and how the above-mentioned John Snider Senior came to adopt this faith, was furnished to the writer by his son John Junior who was only a lad at that time. But the facts are preserved as a matter of history with the family. Their wanderings back and forth over the country until their final settlement in Utah, are from John Junior’s own personal recollections. In a later letter the writer received from him, he enclosed what he said was a proof of the last photograph he had taken thirty-five years ago. The print was very much faded, but I have succeeded in getting a very good copy from it.]
Edwin George Snider, written in 1909 and typed by E. H. Snider.

Verilənlər bazası müəlliflik hüququ ilə müdafiə olunur © 2016
rəhbərliyinə müraciət