Ana səhifə

Records of the british aviation industry in the raf museum: a brief guide contents


Yüklə 261.39 Kb.
səhifə1/2
tarix13.06.2016
ölçüsü261.39 Kb.
  1   2



RECORDS OF THE BRITISH AVIATION INDUSTRY

IN THE RAF MUSEUM:

A BRIEF GUIDE
Contents
Introduction 2

Section 1:
Background to the collection 2
Arrangement of this Guide 3
Access to the records 3
Glossary of terms 4
The British aircraft industry: an overview 3

Section 2:
Company histories and description of records 6

Appendix
The British Aircraft Industry: a bibliography 42


Introduction

The RAF Museum holds what is probably Britain's most comprehensive collection of records relating to companies involved in the manufacture of airframes (i.e. aircraft less their engines) aero engines, components and associated equipment. The entries in this guide are arranged by company name and include a history of each company, particularly its formation and that of subsidiaries together with mergers and take overs. Brief details of the records, the relevant accession numbers and any limitations on access are given. Where the records have been listed this is indicated. A glossary of terms specific to the subject area is also included, together with an index.



Background to the Collection

The Museum's archive department began collecting records in the late 1960s and targeted a number of firms. Although many of the deposits were arranged through formal approaches by the Museum to companies, a significant number were offered by company staff: a significant example is the Supermarine archive (AC 70/4) including some 50,000 drawings, which would have been burnt had an employee not contacted the Museum.


The collections seem to offer a bias towards certain types of record, notably drawings and production records, rather than financial records and board minutes. This may reflect the circumstances in which the records were acquired (i.e. the fact that the companies had no further need for them) rather than a deliberate decision not to acquire other types of records. The major exception to this situation is the Handley Page files (HP series): after the collapse of the company a consortium comprising the RAF Museum, the Imperial War Museum and Lloyds purchased documentary and other material from the receiver. The administrative and business records were allocated to the RAF Museum, whilst drawings and photographs went to the IWM.
Another explanation for the predominance of drawings amongst the collections is that not only do engineering companies produce large numbers of drawings (ranging from General Arrangements of complete aircraft or sub assemblies down to detailed drawings of individual components) the drawings themselves are frequently copied. The original draughtsman's drawing would be done on paper, then traced onto linen or film, which would in turn be used for the production of working blueprints or dyeline copies. Some firms then kept microfilm copies of their drawings   many Fairey drawings came to the Museum as large format microfilm negatives, and the modern standard is 35mm aperture cards. There is thus the potential for several copies of a drawing to be in circulation, and some copies have been donated by individuals rather than by the companies concerned.
Acquisitions from companies are supplemented by donations from former employees, often comprising documents and drawings that they had used during their employment
Material relating to companies appears among the collections held by other sections of the Museum, notably the Library and the Film Section. Where appropriate, mention of such records is made in this guide.
Arrangement of this guide

Companies are listed in alphabetical order, and the company’s registration number (where known) is given, usually with a brief history of the company. Many of the companies in the Hawker Siddeley Group changed names several times and these are cross-referenced.


Within each company’s entry, large collections of records are arranged following the classification scheme suggested by the Business Archives Council:

Corporate records

Share records

Internal administration

Accounting & Financial records

Legal


Operation

Staff & Employment

Other records are listed simply; in all cases the relevant accession numbers are given. A variety of accession numbering schemes have been employed, some of which (such as the AC, MPC and HP series) relate to groups of records, whilst others   such as the A, B, L and MAC series   indicate individual items. Numbers prefixed “X” may relate to groups of records or individual items.

Access to the records

Only one group of records is currently closed; the rest may be seen in the Museum’s reading room by appointment. The reading room is open Tuesday to Friday, from 10 am to 5 pm.



Contact:

Department of Research & Information Servies

RAF Museum

Hendon


London

NW9 5LL


T. 020 8358 4873

F. 020 8358 4991



Research@rafmuseum.org

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/

Glossary of Terms
Drawing Introduction Sheets   Ledgers giving details of all the drawings associated with a particular aircraft, especially noting changes resulting from modifications.
Drawing Register   List of drawings produced, usually in chronological order, often recording when each drawing was first issued and subsequently replaced by amended drawings.

Type Record   Complete record of all decisions made regarding a particular design, or variant, including all modifications.
Release Note   Certificate stating that the material or component to which it relates complies with appropriate standards and is therefore suitable for use.
Service Reports   Feedback to the company from its representatives, detailing the serviceability state of aircraft with specific units. Presumably analysed to provide data on causes of unserviceability and show where modifications may be needed.
Servicing Instructions   Special instructions for non routine maintenance, such as inspection of a particular component throughout the fleet after a fault has been discovered.

The British Aircraft Industry: an overview

The first aircraft manufactured commercially in the United Kingdom were primarily intended for sale to private pilots, who flew as a hobby. They included the machines built under licence from the Wright Brothers by the British and Colonial Aeroplane Company, and the designs of Claude Grahame White. The First World War produced a great demand for aircraft, and many companies' designs   together with those of the Royal Aircraft Factory   were built by subcontractors such as the furniture manufacturers Waring & Gillow, or by the National Aircraft Factories.


Several aircraft manufacturers collapsed after the Armistice, as orders were cancelled. The 1920s and early 1930s were lean years, as the armed services were forced to make do with ageing aircraft despite the rapid advance of technology. A number of take overs and mergers took place as the industry fought for the relatively few contracts let by the Government. Eventually the threat of war brought about a need for rearmament, and the Royal Air Force embarked on its Expansion Scheme. New aircraft were ordered, and "shadow factories" owned by the State and operated by firms with expertise in related fields   such as the motor industry   were built, both to meet the demand and to disperse the risk of disruption from enemy attack.
During the post war years the British aircraft industry shrank once more: aircraft were growing more complex and therefore costly to develop and manufacture, and the power of nuclear weapons meant that fewer aircraft were needed to attack the enemy. The Sandys1 report of 1957 suggested that no new manned aircraft would be needed, but this was rapidly seen as incorrect. Further contraction of the industry took place in the 1960s, and the ever increasing cost of aircraft led to collaboration with other countries in projects such as Concorde, Jaguar, Tornado, and the Gazelle, Puma and Lynx helicopters.
Two major groupings took place: the Hawker Siddeley Group was founded in 1934 when Hawker acquired the Gloster Aircraft Company and the Armstrong Siddeley Development Company. Further companies were added in the 1950s, including a number in Canada. The formation of the British Aircraft Corporation in 1960 united most of the remaining airframe companies. The Plowden Committee report on the aircraft industry in 19652 suggested that the Government should acquire shares in BAC and the airframe elements of Hawker Siddeley to make both public and private capital available. The two groups were merged in 1977, together with Scottish Aviation, to form British Aerospace (BAe), effectively nationalising most of the British aircraft and guided weapons industry. A change of government in 1979 led to the privatisation of BAe over the years 1981 to 1985: it subsequently underwent several reorganisations, with subsidiary companies being sold or merged, and became BAE Systems in 1999. Only a few other companies now produce aircraft, whilst Rolls Royce is the only British aero engine manufacturer. The component and service sector of the industry continues fairly well, with expertise in a number of areas such as undercarriages and propellers.
The Hawker Siddeley Group was a very large organisation with many subsidiaries outside the aircraft industry. When the Group’s aerospace operations became part of British Aerospace in 1977, some of the companies – and their records – became part of the BTR group, now Invensys plc. Over time the names of these companies have been used for firms whose activities at best only loosely connected with the aircraft industry, such as William Graydon & Company Ltd (Scottish Registered No. 31620), which became Blackburn Aircraft Ltd in 1975. The Museum holds a large collection of records, on loan from Invensys, the majority of which is material from these firms’ time in the aircraft industry, but some non-aviation material is also held to preserve the continuity of the records.

Section 2

Company Histories and description of records
Changes in the main company's name are shown in bold type: italic type indicates companies whose records are also held by the Museum, but this does not necessarily mean that records relating to mergers and take overs are included.
Some companies produced house magazines, which have been transferred to the Museum Library's Periodicals Collection: these are included in the guide for completeness.

Airspeed Ltd

formerly ECC (Holding Company) Ltd

became Hawker Siddeley Pensions Services Ltd (802618)

Register of members 1964-1978

Annual returns 1965-1973

Signed accounts 1974-1984, 1986-1990

(X003-6163 Box 4453)

Airspeed (1934) Ltd

The company was founded as Airspeed Ltd in York in 1931 by A Hessell Tiltman and Neville Shute Norway, but a take over by Swan Hunter in 1933 led to the name being changed to Airspeed (1934) Ltd and the business moved to Portsmouth. In June 1940 Swan Hunter's shares were bought by the De Havilland Aircraft Company, and the name of the company reverted to Airspeed Ltd in January 1944. De Havilland bought out the preference shares in 1948 and a merger between Airspeed and De Havilland was announced in June 1951, leading to the formation of the Airspeed Division of De Havilland.


Before the Second World War the company built light twin engined transport aircraft, one of which   the Envoy   was developed as a multi purpose trainer for the RAF and renamed the Oxford. Airspeed's other important contribution to the war effort was the Horsa troop carrying glider. The post war Ambassador airliner was purchased in small numbers by British European Airways (BEA)
Management Minute Book 1939-1941

Policy Committee Minute Book 1940

Design Minute Book 1938-1939

Papers re winding up of Airspeed Ltd and assignment of patent rights to the de Havilland Aircraft Company, 1951

(X003-6163, boxes 6497 & 6498)
Papers of A Hessell Tiltman, including prospectuses for the original Airspeed Ltd and the Memorandum and Articles of Association of Airspeed (1934) Ltd 1917 1943 (AC 77/26, listed)
Report on Airspeed A.S. 45 longitudinal stability test flights, circa 1946-1947 (AC 97/27/4)
Advertising brochure for the Airspeed A.S. 67 Ambassador freight aircraft, n.d. (AC 97/27/5)
Airspeed Freight Aircraft Type A.S.66, 2 Centaurus Engines, Abridged Description, 5 February 1947 (AC 78/5/4)
Drawings for a range of aircraft, including the Envoy and the projected AS 14 (MAC 10996   11030, listed)

Alvis Ltd

Originally a motor car manufacturer, Alvis entered the aero engine field in 1935. The Leonides air cooled radial engine was originally designed before the Second World War but intensive work for the war effort slowed its development. The engine did not enter production until the late 1940s but a series of variants was produced, being used in a number of British aeroplanes and helicopters. Alvis did not pursue aero engine development beyond the 1950s, concentrating on military vehicles, but continued to support the Leonides and carried out overhaul work on Lycoming piston engines. The company later became part of the United Scientific Holdings group.


Drawings for the Leonides series (MAC 58500   58570, listed)
Correspondence from the office of the Chief Engineer, Aero Division (Mr A F Varney) (Uncatalogued)
Lists of modifications to Leonides engines (AC 90/10)

Armstrong Whitworth

See: Sir W G Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Company Ltd

Blackburn

The Blackburn Aeroplane & Motor Company was registered June 1914; its factory in Leeds was supplemented by another at Brough, opened in 1916. An airline subsidiary, the North Sea Aerial Navigation Co Ltd started a regular passenger service between Roundhay Park (Leeds) and Hounslow Heath. In 1920, the company was renamed North Sea Aerial & General Transport Co Ltd, and services were extended to Amsterdam.


The Leeds factory had closed by 1932, and Blackburn Aircraft Ltd was registered on 2 April 1936, taking over the over assets of the original company. Factories at Dumbarton and Sherburn-in-Elmet were opened in 1937 and 1940 respectively. In 1940 Blackburn absorbed the engine manufacturer Cirrus Hermes Engineering, and amalgamated with General Aircraft Ltd in January 1949.
A reorganisation in 1959 split the company into Blackburn Aircraft Ltd, Blackburn Engines Ltd, and Blackburn Electronics Ltd. Four years later the company became part of the Hawker Siddeley Group and was renamed the Hawker Blackburn Division of Hawker Siddeley Aviation Ltd, before becoming Hawker Siddeley Aviation, Brough in April 1965.
X003-6163: see box numbers listed below.

Blackburn Aeroplane & Motor Company Ltd

Registered June 1914

6504 Directors' minute book, 1922-1931



Blackburn Aircraft Ltd (31620)

Originally registered under this name 1936, taking over the assets of Blackburn Aeroplane & Motor Company Ltd and North Sea Aerial & General Transport Company Ltd.

Absorbed Cirrus Hermes Engineering Company Ltd in 1940.

Became Blackburn & General Aircraft Ltd in 1949

Formerly William Graydon & Co. Ltd – name changed 1975
Corporate records

Grey Articles of Association adopted 1989

6504 Directors' minute book, 1936-1946

6504 Directors’ minute book 1959-1970

6504 AGM minutes 1936-1941

Grey Register of Directors or Managers, 1936 – 1964

6505 Register of Directors 1959-1965

6504 Register of Seals, 1936-1944

Grey Register of Seals, 1986

Grey Statutory returns, 1963 - 1979


Accounting & Financial records

4436 Signed accounts

Grey Signed accounts, 1972 – 1984, 1986 - 1990

6504 Register of mortgages etc.1952 - 1955



Blackburn & General Aircraft Ltd

Registered 1949.

Reorganised 1959 into 3 companies:

Blackburn Aircraft Ltd

Blackburn Aircraft Ltd

Blackburn Electronics Ltd

Became part of the Hawker Siddeley Group in 1962, then Hawker Siddeley Aviation Ltd, Hawker Blackburn Division
Share records

6505 Register of Ordinary Shares, Abbey - Bithel

6505 Register of Ordinary Shares, Abbiss – Jones (closed sheets)

6511 Register of Ordinary Shares, Black - Clydesdale

6510 Register of Ordinary Shares, Coad - Dykes

6508 Register of Ordinary Shares, Eadie - Gwilliam

6510 Register of Ordinary Shares, Hackforth - Jupe

6508 Register of Ordinary Shares, Kadish - McVitty

6509 Register of Ordinary Shares, Naish - Quoted

6508 Register of Ordinary Shares, Rabbidge - Synnott

6511 Register of Ordinary Shares, Taberer - Zieger

6505 Blackburn Group Ltd - Acquisition offer correspondence



Blackburn Aircraft Products Ltd

6504 Directors’ Minutes 1918 - 1936



Blackburn Consolidated Ltd

6504 Directors’ Minutes 1929 – 1931



Blackburn Group Ltd

6504 Correspondence re acquisition offer by Hawker Siddeley Group Ltd, 1959 - 1960

6504 List of persons who have ceased to be members by acceptance of offer (photocopy)
Project brochures submitted to the Air Ministry and its successors, by British aircraft companies, 1950s (AC94/27/211 & 212)

Bristol Aeroplane Company

The company name was first registered in 1910 by Sir George White, his brother Samuel and his son George, but it was not used until 1920 when the assets of the British and Colonial Aeroplane Company Ltd (another of the Whites' companies) were transferred to it. An engine department was also formed in 1920. Shares in the Bristol Aeroplane Company were offered in 1935 but it was restructured in July 1944 with three divisions: Aircraft, Aero engines and Armament. In 1956 the first two became Bristol Aircraft Ltd and Bristol Aero Engines Ltd respectively, still owned by the Bristol Aeroplane Company Ltd. The former became part of the British Aircraft Corporation in June 1960. Bristol Aero engines Ltd merged with Armstrong Siddeley Motors to form Bristol Siddeley Engines Ltd   owned by the Bristol Aeroplane Company and the Hawker Siddeley Group   in April 1959: it was later bought by Rolls Royce.





  • Drawings, papers & photographs 1912 1963

  • Drawing Registers, H series, c.1950s, relating to the Belvedere helicopter

  • Blenheim test reports

  • Specification for the Type 152

  • Tenders for Air Ministry Specifications issued in 1935 & 1936

  • Type Record for the Beaufighter

  • Type records for several variants of the Britannia and Type 170

  • Lecture notes on the Britannia's airframe and systems

  • Photograph albums and press cuttings)

(X003-8876, listed)
Drawings for the Bulldog (MAC 037597   039999 and 041631   045413, listed)
Company Christmas card, 1947 (A490)
Notes on a meeting to discuss Shadow Production of Bristol Hercules engines, April 1939 (B960)
Correspondence with Major J L B H Cordes, 1940s (AC 97/75/38, listed)
Project brochures submitted to the Air Ministry and its successors, by British aircraft companies, 1950s-1970s (AC94/2781-180 and 455-456, listed)
Flying logbooks of C F Uwins: Chief Test Pilot 1919 c.1949 and later Managing Director of the Aircraft Division (B1025   1035, listed)
House magazines in the library collection:

Bristol Quarterly 1953 1958

Bristol Review Spring 1958 Spring 1959

British Aerospace

In April 1977, as a result of the Aircraft and Shipbuilding Industries Act, ownership of the British Aircraft Corporation, Hawker Siddeley Aviation, Hawker Siddeley Dynamics and Scottish Aviation was vested in a corporation called British Aerospace. The change of government in 1979 led to a move to denationalise the company and shares in British Aerospace plc were offered in February 1981, with the final tranche of shares being offered in 1985. During the 1980s and 1990s the company was restructured several times and a number of elements were sold.


Drawings for the conversion of the Vulcan bomber to a tanker c.1982 (MAC 035976   036056, listed)

Cierva Autogiro Ltd

Don Juan de la Cierva pioneered the autogyro in Spain, but an order from the Air Ministry led to the formation of a British company to hold patents and grant licences. The company moved to Hanworth (Middlesex) in 1932, where a training school was formed. The company chairman, Air Commodore J G Weir, had his own company concentrating on helicopters and in 1943 the Cierva company merged with G & J Weir to form Cierva Rotorcraft Ltd. This company was still trading in 1983, producing a light helicopter and windmills, but seems to have ceased trading.


Papers of R A C Brie, former chief pilot (A510   511 and B1240   1385, listed)

De Havilland Organisation

See chart re de Havilland reorganisation in 1955.

De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd

(170435) Bought stake in Airspeed, 1940

Incorporated 25 September 1920


Engine Division Propeller Division De Havilland Forge Ltd

(became De Havilland Engine Company Ltd, 1944) (became de Havilland Propellers, 1946) incorporated 1942

(409213) (372282)



De Havilland Holdings Ltd

(170435)





De Havilland Engine Company Ltd De Havilland Propellers Ltd De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd

(372282)

Overseas Companies Stake in Airco

Canada with Hunting & Fairey

Australia

New Zealand

South Africa USA

The de Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd was formed at Stag Lane, Edgware, in 1920 building light aircraft, trainers, racing aircraft and an airliner before moving to Hatfield, Hertfordshire in 1934. A factory at Hawarden, near Chester, was taken over from Vickers Armstrongs in 1948 for aircraft production. Separate companies were formed to manufacture engines and propellers, and a parent company   de Havilland Holdings   was formed in 1955. This in turn became the de Havilland Division of the Hawker Siddeley Group in January 1960.


The De Havilland Forge Ltd (372282)

Incorporated 1942

Became the De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd, 1955
X003-6163: see box numbers listed below.
De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd (170435)

Became De Havilland Holdings Ltd, 1955

Became part of the Hawker Siddeley Group, 1961
Corporate records

6498 De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd (previously the De Havilland

Forge Ltd) - Memorandum & Articles of Association

6496 Certificate of Incorporation 1920

6496 Minute Books - Directors and General Meetings, 1937-1947

6495 Minute Books - Directors and General Meetings, 1947-1955 (locked)

6521 Board Minutes January - June1955 (Aircraft Company)

6521 Board Minutes July – December 1955 (Aircraft Company)

6523 EGM, 1953 - prospectus for new share issue and related correspondence

6525 EGM, 1955 - papers


Share records

6522 Correspondence with stockholders, 1961 - 1963

6522 Lists of dissenting Stockholders, 1960 - 1964
Internal administration

6525 Change of name: correspondence with bank etc., 1955 - 1956

6525 Reorganisation: working papers, 1955

6523 Company re-organisation - working papers, 1955 - 1956

6523 Reorganisation: correspondence to 5 December 1956

6523 Reorganisation: papers, 1960 – 1963

6523 Mail & stationery, 1960 – 1963

6523 SARO Companies: General Correspondence, 1959 – 1961

6523 SARO (Anglesey) Ltd: Reports, January – March, 1961
Accounting & Financial Records

6490 Accounts 1920-1946

6521 Mosquito contract costs, 1945 – 1949

6521 Expenditure on Dove contracts, 1945 - 1950

6521 Hornet contract costs, 1946 – 1947

6521 Expenditure on Comet, 1947 – 1949

6521 Chipmunk contract costs, 1949

6498 Licence: The De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd & Aero Research Ltd, 1954

6498 Capital Assistance Agreements between De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd & Ministry of Supply, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1954 & 1956
Legal

6524 Various agreements and correspondence (including Certificate of Entitlement to commence business, 1929 and schedules of deeds)

6524 Agency Agreements, 1930 - 1941

6524 Agency Agreement: India (Wg Cdr D S K Crosbie 1929-1945

6524 De Havilland Aircraft Company of South Africa (PTY) Ltd: Agreements, 1931 – 1936

6524 De Havilland Canada: agreements, 1928 – 1929

6524 Sub-licence for Australia re Airscrews, 1943

6521 Licence: manufacture of Vampires in Switzerland, 1949

6524 Patent Licences 1923-1947

6522 Applications for Trade Marks, 1953

6523 Trade Marks: regularisaton, 1960 - 1963

6523 Bruno Jablonsky & Jablo Propellers Ltd: claim for an award to the royal Commission on Awards to Inventors in respect of Hollow Aircraft Structures, 1953 – 1954

6523 Correspondence re lease of premises at La Guardia airport, New York, 1954

6523 Assignment of leases and licences, 1955 – 1956

6523 Prosecution of two employees, 1953 – 1954

6523 Loss of Iraqi Vampire 334, 16 December 1953: Claims

6523 Accident to Dove N4278C, 23 July 1954: Claim

6523 South African Air Force: Claims, 1955 – 1957

6523 Loss of Chilean Vampire J-03: Claim, 1955

6523 Rainbow Garage: Claim, 1955 – 1955

6523 Da Re & Stefani Milan: Claim, 1953 – 1955

6498 Agreement: The De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd & Ferranti Ltd re transfer of copyrights in connection with the Pegasus computer, 1959

6498 Agreement: sale by the De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd of shares in the De Havilland Engine Company Ltd to Bristol Siddeley Engines Ltd, 1961

6498 De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd - Letters of Undertaking on signing the

DH121 contract, from Hunting Aircraft Ltd, The Fairey Company Ltd, and also Airco Heads of Agreement, 1959-1962
Operation

6524 Contracts: Sale of Tiger Moth aircraft to Persia, 1934

6524 Contracts: Saleof Dragon Rapide, DH86B, Dragonfly & Tiger Moth aircraft to Turkey, 1937

6521 File re sale of Mosquito aircraft to Turkey, 1946 – 1948

6521 File re sale of Vampire aircraft to Sweden, 1946 – 1949

6521 File re sale of Vampire aircraft to Switzerland, 1946 – 1950

6523 File: sales of Vampire & Venom aircraft overseas, 1953 – 1957

6522 General correspondence, 1952

6523 Correspondence with BOAC re defects on Comet G-ALYR, 1953

6522 Correspondence re Comet accidents in 1954

6522 Report of the Court of Inquiry into the loss of Comets G-ALYP and G-ALYY

6522 Venom crash, Malta: correspondence 1954

6523 De Havilland Canada: Correpondence, 1960 – 1963
Staff & employment

6523 Deceased employee: settlement of account etc. 1954



De Havilland Holdings Ltd
Corporate records

6498 Memorandum & Articles of Association, 1955 (2 copies)

6525 Proposed amalgamation of De Havilland, Vickers and English Electric -

working papers

6525 Proposed amalgamation of De Havilland, Vickers and English Electric -

correspondence, 1959 - 1960

6495 Minute Books - Directors and General Meetings, 1955-1958 (locked)

6496 Minute Books - Directors and General Meetings, 1958-1964

6497 Index to minute book of Board Meetings

6496 Directors' Waivers of Remuneration 1964

6496 Seal Book 1949-1961
Share records

6496 Allotment of shares, annual return, Balance Sheet 1963

6522 Directors’ shareholdings, 1953

6522 Re-organisation 1962: share transfers, resignations of directors etc.

6495 Probate Registers, 1946-1955

6495 Probate Registers, 1955-1958

6495 Probate Registers, 1958-1959

6495 Probate Registers, 1959-1962


Internal administration

6498 Folder “Reorganisation documents” containing:

Certificate of Incorporation, 1955 (2 copies)

Certificate of change of name, 1955

Certificate of the registration of a mortgage or charge, 1955 (Photocopy)

Extracts from Board minutes

Agreements

6498 Memorandum: Amendment to reorganisation agreement, 1956.

6523 Reorganisation: Returns, deeds and Certificate of Incorporation, 1955 - 1957

6525 Reorganisation: correspondence, 1955 - 1957

6523 Sale of shares in Saunders-Roe to Westland, 1959 – 1960
Legal

6523 Saunders-Roe: Trade Marks, 1959 – 1960


Operation

6498 Deeds & Agreements: Purchase by De Havilland Holdings Ltd of shares in Saunders Roe Ltd, 1956-1959

6525 De Havilland holdings: mortgages, debentures etc., 1955

6498 Agreement for Indemnity: The De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd & De Havilland Holdings Ltd, 1959

6498 De Havilland Aircraft & Propellers - Debentures & Releases/Saro Products

Ltd, 1955-1962

6498 De Havilland Holdings Ltd - note for the Board on proposed amalgamation with Bristol, 1957 (2 copies)

6498 De Havilland Holdings Ltd – assignment of lease re Hay Hill offices, London, 1955-1962

6498 Subvention Agreement between De Havilland Holdings Ltd, De Havilland

Aircraft Company Ltd De Havilland Engine Company Ltd, De Havilland Propellers Ltd, 1958 (2 copies)

6498 Termination of Subvention Agreement, 1960 (Original and carbon copy)

6498 Agreement: De Havilland Holdings Ltd, Philip Ian Brittain & Brent Chemical Products Ltd re Fluorescent Flaw Detection, 1956

6498 Delegation Agreement: Aircraft Manufacturing Company Ltd, British European Airways Corporation & the De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd re DH121 contract, 1959

6498 Agreement between De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd & Emerson

Associated International Trade Consultants Ltd, 1959

6498 Supplemental Agreements between De Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd &

Eastern Electricity Board, 1954 & 1956

6525 Proposed association with Sud-Aviation and FIAT, 1959



6525 LRBM company

6525 Notes on approach by the Radio Corporation of America, 1958

6525 De Havilland Holdings: Merger with Hawker Siddeley, 1959 - 1960
Staff & employment

6497 De Havilland Enterprise – Personnel statistics ("Psalms I")

6497 De Havilland Enterprise – Personnel statistics ("Psalms II")

6522 Superannuation funds
Operation

6523 Damage to propellers in transit, 1953
Permit to use De Havilland Aircraft Company amenities at Hatfield aerodrome, issued to Capt Henry Shaw, 1934 (A442)
Papers of Sir Geoffrey de Havilland (AC 96/52, listed; AC96/53, listed))
Papers of Captain Hubert Broad (AC76/20, listed)
Papers of Henry (Jerry) Shaw, 1938-1962 (A558-A589, B1763 and B1772)
Project brochures submitted to the Air Ministry and its successors (AC94/27/317, 319-320, 338-355, 459, listed)
Letter to Sir Charles Cheers Wakefield from L L Walker of the de Havilland Aircraft Company Ltd. describing developments made as a result of his sponsoring the Company's entry in the 1927 King's Cup Race, 5 February 1929 (AC 71/11/5)
Collection of blank forms relating to aircraft inspection within the De Havilland Aircraft Company Limited, circa 1930s (A1630)
Type records for the Comet 4, 1958-1961 (AC98/14, listed)
Application form for the de Havilland aeronautical school (DC 73/40/1)
Papers on man-powered flight, including history of construction of "The Puffin" by the Hatfield Man Powered Aircraft Club. (B504)
De Havilland company drawing office handbook, circa 1958 (B3521)
De Havilland war history (propellers) (B3838)
Certificate of incorporation on change of name for De Havilland Holdings Limited to change to De Havilland Aircraft Company Limited, 13 September 1960 (L173)
Drawings for the DH 9 (MAC 10251   10256, listed)
Film   mainly raw camera footage, but including some finished publicity films, 1930s 1950s (FC 95/170 286, listed)
House magazine in the library collection:

D H Gazette June 1937; December 1938 May 1939; April 1948 & February 1949 August 1961

Hawker Siddeley Aviation Ltd - Hatfield

De Havilland Aircraft Company Accounts 1920-1946 (X003-6163, box 6490)



Fairey Aviation Company

The company was formed in 1915 and built aircraft at Hayes and at Hamble. The slump in the aircraft industry led to the formation of Fairey and Charles, producing motor vehicle bodies but the main business carried on and a public company   the Fairey Aviation Company Ltd   was registered on 5 March 1929. It developed the Great West Aerodrome at Harmondsworth, Middlesex, and expansion of the aircraft industry in preparation for, and during the Second World War led to the company operating factories at Hayes, Stockport, and Errwood Park, together with plants at Longbridge, Hamble, Weybridge, Ringway and Burtonwood. The development of Heathrow Airport led to a move from the Great West Aerodrome to White Waltham near Maidenhead.


In March 1959 a new parent company, the Fairey Company Ltd, was formed as a holding company with a number of subsidiaries including Fairey Aviation Ltd. Pressure from the government led to the latter being bought by Westland in May 1960.
Minutes of Board Meetings of the Fairey Aviation Co. Ltd. and the Fairey Company Ltd. March 1929 February 1947 and January 1949 December 1970 (unaccessioned)
Drawings, photographs, type records, Drawing Introduction Sheets, press cuttings (AC 73/30, listed)
Microfilm copies of annual reports & balance sheets, 1929, 1930, 1938, 1958, & 1961 (M10,176, listed)
Microfilm copies of reports on the Prince aero engine, and the company's responses to Air Ministry specifications for a variety of aircraft, c.1925 1950s (M10,177   10,179 & M10,199   10,287 listed)
Papers relating to the testing of a high lift device by Fairey Aviation, 1940 (B2452)
Fairey Aviation Ltd report and associated correspondence on the P.24 aero-engine, 1941 (B3744)
Records relating to the E.H.101 Heli-liner prototype helicopter PP8 (X003-1576 and X003-4652 - Closed)
Project brochures submitted to the Air Ministry and its successors, 1950s-1970s (AC 94/27/238-253 and 460, listed)
Papers relating to attempt to sell Fairey Battles to the Egyptian government, 1937-1938 (AC 94/44/1-8, listed)
Film   largely raw camera footage, 1950s, including the Fireflash missile, the Rotodyne, Gyrodyne and Fairey Delta (unaccessioned)
House magazine in the library collection:

Fairey Affairs June 1945 Christmas 1954

Fane Aircraft Company

Captain Gerard Fane set up the Fane Aircraft Company at Norbury, London. Only one aircraft was produced   an Air Observation Post (i.e. artillery spotting) design, to Air Ministry specification F.1/40   which first flew in 1941 but did not enter production.


Drawings of the Fane F.1/40, correspondence with engine manufacturers (AC 76/7, listed)

Flight Refuelling Ltd

Alan (later Sir Alan) Cobham was a pioneer aviator whose company Alan Cobham Aviation Ltd helped to popularise aviation and also conducted trials on the refuelling of aircraft in flight. In 1934 the name of the company was changed to Flight Refuelling Ltd. Flight Refuelling (Holdings) Ltd was formed in May 1955 and acquired a number of other subsidiary companies in diverse fields. It became the Flight Refuelling Group plc in 1985 but to reflect the group's widespread interests the name was changed in 1994 to Cobham plc.


Papers of Sir Alan Cobham (X006-0170, in process of being catalogued)
Publicity film on the history of refuelling in flight (FC 78/45)
House magazine in the library collection:

FR Summer 1963 Spring 1968

Folland Aircraft Ltd/Folland Holdings Ltd (304047)

British Marine Aircraft Ltd was formed in February 1936 to produce Sikorsky S-42-A flying boats under licence in the UK. The company built a factory on the western side of the Hamble peninsula with a slipway to Southampton Water. The Sikorsky deal fell through, and the company was sold to Henry P. Folland, formerly Chief designer for Gloster Aircraft Company, who renamed it Folland Aircraft Limited on 24 December 1937.

Folland began aircraft assembly at Hamble making parts and sub-assemblies for a wide range of military aircraft. The first aircraft of its own design to fly was the Folland Fo.108 in 1940. Designed and built to meet Air Ministry Specification 43/47 for a flying engine testbed it was generally known as the 43/47 or by the nickname "Folland Frightful" from its unusual appearance.
The Folland F.115 and F.116 designs were tendered to meet Specification E.28/40 for a research aircraft to investigate the issues of landing weight for aircraft operating from carriers. The F.116 design was powered by a Centaurus radial and used a variable incidence wing on an airframe estimated at around 18,250 lb (8,300 kg). Two prototypes were ordered but the project was cancelled in 1943 as most of the problems had already been overcome, and neither prototype was completed.
W. E. W. Petter joined the company as managing director in 1950. He designed the Folland Midge prototype lightweight jet fighter which first flew 11 August 1954. This was followed by the Gnat advanced training jet: both were built at Hamble until the 1960s, and tested at Chilbolton.
In 1959 Folland was acquired by Hawker Siddeley who dropped the Folland name in 1963. Ultimately, Folland became part of British Aerospace (BAe).
X003-6163: see box numbers listed below.
Corporate records

6529 Board Minutes 1935-1937

6517 Board Meetings & Shareholders Minute Book 1937-1942

6529 Board Minutes 1942-1947

6529 Board Minutes 1947-1948

6529 Board Minutes 1948-1951

6529 Board Minutes 1951-1956

6517 Register of Directors' Shareholdings 1940 - 1962

6512 Notice of situation of registered office, 1937

6512 Directors & Secretaries: Remuneration, Waivers & Receipts, 1952 - 1959 6512 Directors’ shareholdings, resignations etc.1954 - 1970

6517 Seal Register 1942 – 1950

6517 Seal Register 1950 – 1957


Share records

Share Registers A-Ch

6512 Share Registers City-De Zouche

6513 Share Registers Dible – Gittings

6513 Share Registers Gladding - Hives

6514 Share Registers Hoare-Leyshon

Share Registers LH-Z

6517 Unclaimed dividends: schedules, bank statements, correspondence

6517 Dissentient shareholders: schedules, bank statements, correspondence

Correspondence with Hawker Siddeley Group re takeover

6517 HSA block transfer of shares

6517 File labelled “EGM” – contains resolution passed at EGM, 7 February 1962 and Annual Return for 1962

6517 Shareholders’ correspondence - closed accounts

6517 Correspondence re cleared dividends

6517 Registers of Probates, Attorney, Marriages etc., 1940 – 1948

6517 Registers of Probates, Attorney, Marriages etc., 1948 – 1959

6517 Registers of Probates, Attorney, Marriages etc., 1952 – 1965

6517 Registers of Probates, Attorney, Marriages etc., 1955 – 1968

6517 Registers of Probates, Attorney, Marriages etc., 1958 – 1973

6512 Annual Returns 1942, 1944, 1947-1957, 1959-1971
Accounting & Financial Records

6512 Balance Sheets & Accounts 1960 – 1963, 1965-1970

6517 Register of Mortgages & Charges 1959 - 1966
6517 Miscellaneous microfiche from Companies House

General Aircraft Ltd

General Aircraft Limited (GAL) was formed in 1931 to undertake production of aircraft using the 'monospar' wing designs of the Mono-spar Company Ltd. Both firms were headed by Helmut J. Stieger, the Swiss inventor of the technique. In October 1934, both companies were re-capitalised by investment group British Pacific Trust, and were re-formed in a new company also named General Aircraft Limited. Also included in the new company were the assets of National Flying Services Ltd, the owner of London Air Park, plus adjoining industrial premises built in 1917 by Whitehead Aircraft Ltd. In early 1935, the Croydon production facilities were transferred to the Hanworth site, near Feltham.

After World War II, GAL diversified into the construction of pre-fabricated houses and car bodies. The company had designed and built a large transport aircraft, the GAL.60 Universal. However, GAL realised it did not have the room or capacity to produce the aircraft in quantity, and approached Blackburn Aircraft Ltd, that was looking for work to keep its factory at Brough Aerodrome busy. On 1 January 1949, this led to the two companies merging to form Blackburn and General Aircraft Ltd. The first GAL.60 (renamed the Beverley by Blackburn) was transported by road from Hanworth to Brough, and the factory at Hanworth was later closed.
Brochure for the G.A.L. air-sea rescue chair, circa 1946 (003711)
Report on the flight trials of the tailless V-wing glider type GAL 56/03 (36.4° sweepback), circa May 1946 (AC 94/27/210)

Gloster Aircraft Company

Originally registered as the Gloucestershire Aircraft Company on 5 June 1917, the company was owned jointly by George Holt Thomas's Airco and H M Martyn. The Armistice brought the cancellation of large numbers of contracts and the GAC acquired the design rights of the Nieuport Nighthawk fighter. Nieuport's designer Harry Folland became the chief engineer in 1921 and over the next 14 years developed a series of biplane fighters.


In 1926 the company name was changed to the Gloster Aircraft Company, apparently to help overseas customers and in 1927 it acquired the Steel Wing Company. In May 1934 Gloster was taken over by Hawker, becoming part of what would become the Hawker Siddeley Group. It built many of its parent company's designs but won contracts for Britain's first jets: the E.28/39 which tested Sir Frank Whittle's engine, and the Meteor which was the first Allied to jet to see service. Later marks of Meteor were built by Armstrong Whitworth, whilst Gloster concentrated on the Javelin fighter. It was absorbed into the Whitworth Gloster division of Hawker Siddeley in 1961.
Gloucestershire Aircraft Company brochure, c.1923 (012199)
Gloster E1/44 type record, 1946 (B1449)
Project brochures submitted to the Air Ministry and its successors, by British aircraft companies, 1950s-1970s (AC94/27/262-265, listed)
Papers and technical drawings relating to the Meteor and Javelin (AC78/24/1-15, listed)
Drawings for the Gamecock (MAC 013456   013471, listed)
Drawings for the Gauntlet and Gladiator, mostly Centre of Gravity diagrams (MAC 036057   036073, listed)
Photographs, glass negatives and reports (AC 71/15)
Service reports, servicing instructions and other papers of Mr F C Cook, former technical representative, c.1941 1960s (AC 78/24)
Production data, Meteor and Javelin (AC 74/28)
Microfilm copies of Meteor and Javelin drawings (AC 92/11)
House magazine in the library collection:

The Gloster 1925 1929

Gloster Coach & Sheet Metal Company Ltd

Private Ledger 1931-1934 (X003-6163, box 6500)



Grahame White Aviation Company

Claude Grahame White founded a flying school at Pau in France before purchasing land at Hendon and developing the London Aerodrome in 1910. In addition to training service and civilian pilots the company built aeroplanes of its own design and, during the First World War, other designs under licence. Another victim of cancelled contracts after the Armistice, the company branched out briefly into motor vehicles and furniture manufacture but went into receivership in February 1924.


Photograph albums of the factory and the Hendon aerodrome, albums of press cuttings, fragmentary correspondence and other papers re the company and the Hendon aerodrome. (A301   A316 and B700   B802, listed)
Plan of the London Aerodrome, Hendon, circa 1922 (L107)
Published material is held in the Library collection

H G Hawker Engineering Company

Corporate records

Memorandum & Articles of Association - Miscellaneous

Minute Book 1920-1933

Seal Book 1923-1933


Share records

Register of Members etc. 1920-1927 & 1922-1932

(X003-6163, Box 6494)

HSG Services Ltd

Formerly:

Hawker Siddeley Industries (Services) Ltd

Brush Group Services Ltd

Brush Aboe Group Services Ltd

Industrial Relations Services (ABE) Ltd
X003-6163: see box numbers listed below.
Corporate records

4463 Articles of Association adopted 1989

4463 Register of seals 1951-1978
Share Records

4463 Register of members 1945-1952

4463 Register of Members 1965-1981

4463 Share Certificates 1965-1981


Accounting & Financial Records

4463 Signed accounts 1957-1990



Handley Page Ltd

The world's first public company solely for the construction of aeroplanes, it was founded by Frederick (later Sir Frederick) Handley Page in 1909. In addition to manufacturing aircraft, the company also had interests in airlines, forming Handley Page Transport Ltd in June 1919 and bought the Aircraft Disposal Company in 1920. A factory and aerodrome were built at Cricklewood during the First World War but the encroachment of housing onto the site forced flying activities to be moved to Radlett, Hertfordshire in 1929.


In June 1948 Handley Page (Reading) Ltd was formed to take over the former Miles factory and that company's projects, but production was slowly transferred to Cricklewood and the Reading site closed on 31 March 1963. Sir Frederick was fiercely independent, refusing government pressure to merge. After his death in 1962 the firm had financial trouble and Handley Page Ltd went into voluntary liquidation in August 1969. A rescue bid was mounted, with the aim of forming Handley Page Aircraft Ltd to build the Jetstream, but this failed and on 27 February 1970 a winding up order was issued.
Papers from Sir Frederick Handley Page's private office (AC 70/10, listed)
Company files 1909 1970 (HP series, part listed)
Papers of G C D Russell, Chairman and Managing Director, 1962-1965 (AC 71/21, listed)
Halifax drawings (microfilm copes, MAC 11242   11278)
Drawings for most HP aircraft types (in process of being catalogued)

Hawker Aircraft Ltd (276035)

The Sopwith Aviation Company went into receivership in September 1920 but the directors quickly formed a new company to purchase the Sopwith patents. This was registered in November 1920 as the H G Hawker Engineering Company Ltd   named after Sopwith's test pilot. By 1933 the company had grown, partly due to the production of its Hart bomber under licence, and it was decided to float a new company, Hawker Aircraft Ltd. Within a year it had purchased the Gloster Aircraft Company and announced plans to form a trust to acquire the Armstrong Siddeley Development Company: this would lead to the formation of a public holding company, the Hawker Siddeley Aircraft Company Ltd.


The holding company bought out the remaining shares in Hawker Aircraft Ltd in 1937 and was renamed Hawker Siddeley Aviation Ltd in 1965: HSA was absorbed into British Aerospace in 1977.
X003-6163: see box numbers listed below.
Corporate records

6494 Memorandum & Articles of Association 1933 (3 copies)

6493 Memorandum & Articles of Association, 1933 and c.1950

6492 Directors’ Minute Book 1933-1937

6492 Directors’ Minute Book 1937-1939

6492 Directors’ Minute Book 1940-1948

6492 Directors’ Minute Book 1948-1955

6492 Directors’ Minute Book 1955-1971

6492 Minutes of AGMs 1933-1972

6493 Register of Directors or Managers 1934

6493 Register of Seals 1933-1953

6493 Register of Seals 1953-1956

6493 Register of Seals 1956-1970
Share records

6492 Share Register 1950-1954

6527 HS debenture deed (1938) and Memorandum of Satisfaction, 1947

6527 Trust deed securing convertible debenture stock 1979/84, 1959

6527 Annual returns 1940-1948
Internal administration

6527 Hawker Siddeley reorganisation: correspondence, 1963 - 1965


Accounting & Financial Records

6493 Signed accounts 1933-36, 1938-1950

6493 Signed accounts 1951-1965

6493 Register of Mortgages & Charges 1938-1944

6528 Directors’ expenses etc: Copies of Forms P11D 1952/1953 & 1953/1954, and analysis for 1954/1955

6528 Directors’ expenses etc: Copies of Forms P11D and analysis for 1955/1956

6528 Directors’ expenses etc: Analysis for 1955-1956

6528 Directors’ expenses etc: Copies of Forms P11D and analysis for 1956/1957

6528 Directors’ expenses etc: Copies of Forms P11D and analysis for 1957/1958

6528 Directors’ expenses etc: Copies of Forms P11D and analysis for 1958/1959

6528 Directors’ expenses etc: Copies of Forms P11D and analysis for 1959/1960

6528 Directors’ expenses etc: Copies of Forms P11D and analysis for 1960/1961

6503 Nominal Ledger 1933-1942

6503 Nominal Ledger 1942-1947

6502 Nominal Ledger 1947-1950

6502 Nominal Ledger 1950-1954

6501 Nominal Ledger 1955-1958

6501 Nominal Ledger 1958-1963


Legal

6527 Index to deed box at Lloyd's Bank, 1933 - 1949

6527 Aircraft Research Association agreement 1952
Operation

6528 Hunter Mk 6 flight test schedule

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India, 1957: Volume 1 (2 copies, one signed)

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Volume 2

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Annexure 4: Appendix “A”

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Annexure 4: Amendments to Appendix “A”: Part 1

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Annexure 4: Amendments to Appendix “A”: Part 2

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Annexure 4: Amendments to Appendix “A”: Part 3

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Annexure 4: Amendments to Appendix “A”: Part 4

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Annexure 4: Amendments to Appendix “A”: Part 5

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Annexure 5: Spare parts

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Annexure 7: Special tools & ground equipment

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Amendments, 1957 – 1961

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Annexure 10: Hunter F6/F56 brochure

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F56 & T66 aircraft to the Republic of India: Annexure 11: Hunter T66 brochure

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter T66 aircraft to the Republic of India, 1959:

6526 Contract for the supply of Hunter F4 aircraft to the Royal Danish Air Force, 1954:

6527 Contract for the supply of Hunter F4 aircraft to the Royal Swedish Air Force, 1954

6527 Ministry of Supply enquiries for new aircraft (including P1108 and NATO light ground attack aircraft) 1953 - 1954

6527 Certificates of performance: Point-to-point (Fury, Sea Furies & P.1052) and speed (Hunter) 1949 & 1958

6527 FAI diploma: Hunter WB188 World Air Speed Record, 1953

6527 Contract for the supply of Hunter F4 aircraft to Peru, 1955

6527 Contract for the supply of Hunter F6 aircraft to Switzerland, 1958

6527 Contract for the supply of Hunter T66 Dual Control (trainer) aircraft to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, 1959



Staff & employment

6527 Staff & Works Pension Schemes: trust deeds and rules, 1937 – 1940s

6527 Works Pension Scheme: rules, list of employees, 1937 – 1940

6527 Works Pension & Assurance Scheme: Resolution, 25 March 1953

6527 Hawker Sickness & Benefit Schemes: minutes & correspondence, 1949 – 1959

6527 Hawker Air Raid Damage Mutual Assistance Scheme: Winding up, 1945 – 1959

6527 File: Retiring Directors (including A N Spriggs terminal arrangements), 1959 - 1961

6528 Trust Deed: Hawker Aircraft Ltd & E H Jefferson, 1956



Hawker Aircraft Ltd

Formerly Hawker Siddeley Blackwood Ltd

Ivor Power Speciality Company Ltd (263912)
X003-6163, Box 4443
Corporate records

Memorandum & new Articles of Association adopted 1973 (2 copies)

Articles of Association adopted 1989

Minute book 1932-1948

Minute book 1949-1973

AGM Minutes 1940-1948


Share records

Register of members

Share certificates 1946-1978
Accounting & Financial records

Balance sheets 31 January 1971 & 31 January 1972 (2 copies of each)

Signed accounts 1974-1984, 1986-1990

Hawker Aircraft (Blackpool Ltd)

Became Hawker Siddeley Marine Ltd

Hawker Siddeley Overseas Investments Ltd (497175)
(X003-6163, Box 4453)
Corporate records

Articles of Association adopted 1989

Board minutes 1951-1966

AGM minutes 1952-1966

Directors’ shareholdings 1951-1963

Register of Secretaries & Directors 1951-1971

Register of Members 1951-1978

Register of Transfers 1951-1962


Share records

Share certificates 1951-1967


Accounting & Financial records

Signed accounts 1965-1990



Hawker Brakes Ltd

Formerly Hobbs Transmission Ltd (310542)
(X003-6163, Box 4443
Corporate records

Memorandum & Articles of Association (3 copies)

Articles of Association (adopted 1989)

Board Minutes 1960-1977

Directors’ attendance book 1960-1964

Special resolution passed 27 September 1983

Combined register

Share recordsRegister of members 1936-1955

Share certificates 1937-1955

Share certificates 1955-1984

Stock transfer form 31 December 1983

Annual returns 1955-1957, 1963-1969
Accounting & Financial records

Signed accounts 1977-1984, 1986-1989



Hawker Sanders Ltd (244886)

Incorporated 1930
X003-6163: see boxes listed below
Corporate records

6499 Memorandum & Articles of Association, 1950


Accounting & Financial records

6499 Nominal Ledger 1953-1954

6499 Nominal Ledger 1954/55 – 1957/58

6499 Accounts & Schedules 1948/1949 - 1953/54, 1956/57 - 1957/58

6527 Hawker Sanders Property Deeds and documents

6527 Property deeds and documents 1946-1952



Hawker Siddeley Aircraft Company

Directors’ reports and accounts, 1936-1947

Statutory Report, 1935

(X003-6163, Box 6493)


Victor Tanker conversion (AC 93/13/3, 5 and 7)
Papers re development of the Blue Steel missile (AC 93/21)
Reports relating to the Buccaneer aircraft, 1968-1990 (AC94/8)
Papers relating to Victor, Hawk, Buccaneer and Avro 748 aircraft, 1950s-1970s (AC 94/21)
Project brochures submitted to the Air Ministry and its successors, by British aircraft companies, 1950s-1970s (AC 94/27/48, 294-341 and 461, listed)
Type records and modification reports for the Avro Shackleton, circa 1951-1978 (AC 98/13)
House journals

Hawker Siddeley Review 1952-1968

Hawker Siddeley News 1972, 1973 & 1975

Hawker Siddeley Aviation Ltd - Hatfield

Became Hawker Siddeley Holdings Ltd, 1963

Irvin Great Britain

Leslie Irvin founded the Irving (sic) Air Chute Company in the United States in 1919, and opened a factory in Letchworth in 1926. The British company has changed its name many times as a result of mergers and takeovers, and Irvin-GQ ltd is now dormant, owned by Airborne Systems Europe.


Documents relating to the manufacture of the parachute used by HRH the Prince of Wales on 28 July 1971, primarily Release Notes and a list of staff involved (AC 77/3)
Parachute drawings (AC 77/3)
Irving Air Chute Company promotional photograph album, circa 1926 (B1182)

Miles Aircraft Limited

F G Miles and his brother George built their first aircraft, the Gnat, in 1926 and founded the Gnat Aeroplane Company at that time. They also set up the Southern Aero Club Ltd and Southern Aircraft Ltd, the latter's business being primarily the rebuilding and repair of light aircraft, although another Miles design   the Southern Martlet   was built by the company. In 1932 the brothers approached Phillips & Powis, a Reading based motor dealer which also ran a flying club and aircraft repair business, to build his Hawk design. This proved successful: Powis bought out Phillips' share of the business, and F G Miles joined the staff of the company.


In 1936 Phillips & Powis was floated, 125,000 shares being purchased by Rolls Royce: F G Miles became Managing Director. Five years later Rolls Royce sold its shares to F G Miles, his wife and George Miles and the company name was changed to Miles Aircraft Ltd in 1943.
Although the company had been successful in the period up to 1945, winning large orders for training aircraft, severe financial difficulties were experienced in 1946 and 1947. A receiver was appointed in November 1947. An agreement with Handley Page to take over the company's aircraft business was reached in 1948, resulting in the formation of Handley Page (Reading) Ltd. Other products in which Miles had interests, including photocopiers, bookbinding machinery and Biro pens, were taken over by the Western Manufacturing Estate Ltd, which later merged with the Adamant Engineering Company Ltd. Adamant Western became the Adwest Group Ltd on 31 October 1963.
House magazines in the library collection:

Miles Magazine 1938 & 1946 1947

Milestones 1946
The following records are copies of material held by the Adwest Group, from whom permission must be obtained before copies are supplied to researchers.

Drawings for Miles aircraft of the inter-war period (MAC 053052   054412, listed)


Copies of film shot by the company's film unit, 1940s   mainly raw footage of aircraft trials, but including some factory scenes and newsreels.

Morris Motors Ltd

Osberton Radiators, founded in 1919, was purchased in 1923 by Morris Motors. It was sold to a holding company, Morris Motors (1926) Ltd three years later and became Morris' Radiator Branch. The company was approached by Rolls Royce in August 1939 to make radiators for its Merlin aero engine and later developed a range of heat exchange equipment for aircraft and military vehicles. The parent company was absorbed into the British Motor Corporation in 1952.


Radiator drawings (MAC 013758   014641, listed)

North Sea Aerial & General Transport Ltd

Wound up 1936, assets transferred to Blackburn Aircraft Ltd

Minute book 1919 – 1936 (X003-6163, Box 6504)



Pemberton Billing

Noel Pemberton Billing decided in 1913 to build flying boats: his company produced several designs   including landplanes   but when he stood for Parliament in 1916 Pemberton Billing sold his interest in the firm, which became the Supermarine Aviation Works Ltd.


Drawings for the PB 25, 25E, 29E and 31 (MAC 045685   046584, listed)
Brochure, c.1914 (B3501)

Redifon Flight Simulation Ltd

The electronics group Rediffusion had a Flight Simulation Division by 1971, together with a separate firm Redifon Air Trainers Ltd. The two seem to have merged and by 1974 Redifon Ltd   a holding company   owned Rediffusion Flight Simulation Ltd. The name of this company changed frequently, becoming Redifon Simulation Ltd by 1979 and   by 1983   Rediffusion Simulation Ltd. A link with the American firm Hughes led to another change of name to Hughes Rediffusion Simulation, but Hughes sold the company in 1994 and it is now Thales Training & Simulation.


Drawings for Britannia & Comet flight simulators (unaccessioned)

Rose Brothers (Gainsborough) Ltd

William Rose developed a bombsight during the First World War, but it was not put into production. During the Second World War the company designed and developed a rear gun turret for the Lancaster, armed with .5" Browning machine guns, which replaced the earlier Frazer Nash turret. The company is now Rose Forgrove Ltd, and mainly manufactures wrapping machines, although some specialised work is undertaken for the aviation industry.


Patent specifications and related drawings for the Rose Bombsight, c.1917

(AC 76/5, listed)


Pictorial record of the development of the Rose gun turret (V011304)

Short Brothers Ltd

Eustace, Oswald and Horace Short took up ballooning in the 1890s and began manufacturing balloons in 1902. The company was formed in 1908 in Battersea, and aeroplanes were first built in 1909. A factory at Rochester, Kent was opened in late 1914 over the next 25 years the company grew steadily, producing a long succession of flying boats including the Empire boat for Imperial Airways and the RAF's Rangoon, Singapore and Sunderland. Landplanes included the Stirling heavy bomber.


In 1934 the company took a majority holding in Pobjoy, an engine manufacturer, forming Pobjoy Aircraft and Airmotors which built the Short Scion light transport under licence. Another subsidiary, Short & Harland Ltd   owned equally by Short Brothers and Harland & Wolff   was established in 1936 with a factory in Belfast. Management of the firm was taken over by the Government in 1943, Short Brothers being merged with Short & Harland in November 1947 to form Short Bros. & Harland. Production was then concentrated on the Belfast site, with Rochester closing in 1948. In the 1950s the firm built a number of prototypes for projects which were not developed, building other companies' designs under licence. A series of transport aircraft were built in the 1960s and 1970s and the company also developed expertise in the design and production of anti aircraft missiles and remotely piloted vehicles.
Renamed Short Brothers Ltd in 1977, the company became a public limited company in 1984. It was purchased by the Canadian firm Bombardier in June 1989.

Correspondence, reports and drawings concerning the patenting of Henry Richard Busteed's emergency flotation gear for aircraft and the subsequent sale of those patent rights to Short Brothers of Rochester, 1918-1932 (B1466)


File of query forms sent by the shop floor to the Modifications and Queries Design Office of Short Brothers, concerning modifications made on, or proposed for, the Short S.25 Sunderland, 1944 (B2548)
Project brochures submitted to the Air Ministry and its successors, 1950s-1970s (AC94/27/405-431, listed)

Type records for the Sunderland, C class flying boat and Stirling (AC 93/9, listed)


Sunderland drawings (MAC 11979, 13484-13486, 13738, 13739, 14689, 41323-41630)

 

Drawing schedules for the Sperrin, photograph albums c.1909 1980s (AC 94/40, listed)


Drawings for the SC9 (unaccessioned)
Correspondence regarding the purchase of patent rights in H R Busteed's emergency flotation gear for aircraft 1918 1932 (B1466)
Logbooks and papers of John Lankester-Parker, test pilot (AC 71/16)
House magazines in the library collection:

Short Story 1946 1962 & 1972 1986

The Short Story News Gazette January May, 1947

Shorts Quarterly Review 1951 1965


  1   2


Verilənlər bazası müəlliflik hüququ ilə müdafiə olunur ©kagiz.org 2016
rəhbərliyinə müraciət