|Of Mice and Men]
Chapter 3 Comprehension Questions
1. Slim and George have a long conversation. Slim says it’s funny how George and Lennie go around together. What is George’s answer?
He explains that Lennie had no one else to take care of him, George assumed the
responsibility. He admits that Lennie is a pain in the neck sometimes, but that “you
kinda get used to going around with a guy and after a while you can’t get rid of ‘m.”
2. Identify Candy.
Candy is the swamper. He is an older man who has at some time lost one hand. He has
An old dog he raised from a pup and although he realizes that the dog must be in misery,
He can’t bring himself to shoot it.
3. What did Carlson do with his Luger? Why?
Carlson shot Candy’s dog to put it out of its misery because Candy couldn’t bring himself
to do it.
4. What card game does George play?
George plays solitaire.
5. Describe Curley’s wife. What’s the problem about her?
Curley’s wife dresses and acts like a tramp, according to the men. The problem is that
she is lonesome since Curley won’t let her talk to anyone. She keeps coming around the
bunkhouse and barn to talk to the men ( and to make advances), and then Curley gets
jealous and mad with the men and tries to start fights.
6. What will Lennie’s job be when he and George get their land?
Lennie’s job will be to tend the rabbits.
7. What does Candy want when he hears about Geroge’s and Lennie’s plans? What is he willing to contribute?
Candy wants to join George and Lennie on their land. He is willing to put up several
hundred dollars he has saved.
8. Why did Curley fight with Lennie? What happened?:
Lennie was smiling, thinking about the land when Carlson and Candy were verbally
attacking Curley. Curley sees Lennie smiling and assumes he is laughing at him. Curley
begins beating on Lennie, who remains with his hands at his sides until George tells him
several times to go ahead and fight back. Lennie grabs Curley’s hand, and although he
wasn’t trying to hurt him, he crushes Curley’shand, breaking several bones.