|Name______________________________ Test Date____________________
World War II Study Guide
1. Why did dictators rise to power after the Great Depression? They promised strong leadership in solving problems.
2. The Axis Powers were Germany, Italy, and Japan
3. The Allied Powers or Allies were Great Britain, France, and the USA
4. After WWI, America believed in isolationism and wanted to stay out of WWII because they remembered how awful WWI had been and hoped to avoid fighting in Europe again.
5. Franklin D. Roosevelt decided to help Great Britain by sending them military equipment and supplies.
6. Fascism is a system in which the gov. controls the economy, culture, and all parts of people’s lives
7. Racism is the idea that one race, or group of people, is better than other races.
8. The dictator of Germany was Adolf Hitler
9. The dictator of Italy was Benito Mussolini
10. The dictator of the Russia was Joseph Stalin
11. Winston Churchill was the Prime Minister of Great Britain.
12. The Emperor of Japan who ordered the attack on Pearl Harbor was Hirohito
13. Hideki Tojowas the Prime Minister of Japan.
14. Hitler attacked Poland which caused the Allies to declare war on Germany.
15. When and why did the U.S. enter WWII? The US entered WWII when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.
16. Why did the U.S. need to mobilize for war? The US believed in isolationism after WWI and wanted to stay out of other country’s business. Because of this, they were not expecting to be fighting any time soon, so there was no need for a strong military.
17. What did U.S. factories mainly produce during WWII? Airplanes, tanks, and other war supplies
18. What was rationed during the war? Gasoline
19. What did Americans do at home to support the war efforts? They sacrificed many things and they also had rations.
20. What nickname was given to many women who worked the factory jobs that only men had held before the war? Rosie the Riveter
21. Who were the African American pilots who flew missions over Italy? Tuskegee Airmen
22. During WWII, many Jews were sent to concentration camps which was a place where large numbers of people were held prisoner and forced to work. Many were killed/died here.
23. On June 6, 1944 the Allies stormed the beaches of Normandy, France and this was called D-Day.
24. On December, 7, 1941, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. They picked this location because this is where the US Naval Base was and it was our Pacific Fleet…did a lot of damage!
25. During WWII, many Japanese Americans were sent to live in internment camps during the war because Americans were afraid they would support Japan and give away American secrets.
26. In August of 1945, the U.S. dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in order to end WWII.
27. What was V-J Day? Victory in Japan Day. On August 14, 1945, Emperor Hirohito surrendered.
28. What happened at the Battle of Midway? The US/Allies sank 4 Japanese aircraft carries and also shot down many planes.
29. The Japanese military was under the command of Hideki Tojo
30. The responsibility of the Navajo Code Talkers was to create relay American information in a secret code that the Japanese could not understand