Interpreter/Translator Confidentiality and Restrictive Covenant Agreement
Whereas, Heron Language Services, a Pennsylvania corporation , (herein after “Heron”), having its principal place of business located in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, is engaging in the business of providing translations and interpreting services; and, activities reasonably ancillary thereto (“Business”); and ______________________________________________________________
WHEREAS, Heron desires to protect proprietary and valuable information, including information, within the normal course of its Business by keeping the same secret and confidential; and,
WHEREAS, I the undersigned, (hereinafter sometimes referred to as “I”, “Me”, “My” or “Myself”) desires to enter into contract with Heron as an independent contractor subject to the terms and conditions of such employment as the same may be adopted and amended from time to time, and such contract as an independent contractor shall bring Me into close contact with the confidential affairs and proprietary information of Heron, not readily available to the public, including protected client and third party information and plans form Heron’s future business development, and Heron desires to contract with Me subject to and conditioned upon the terms, conditions, obligations and restrictions herein contained.
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of and as a condition precedent to Me by Heron, and My receipt of the confidential and proprietary information of Heron, with the foregoing recitals incorporated herein by reference, intending to be legally bound hereby, I covenant and agree as follows:
1. PROTECTION OF CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. In view of the fact aht My contract as an independent contractor by Heron will bring Me into close contact with many confidential affairs and the proprietary information of Heron, not readily available to the public, including protected client and third party information of clients and plans for Heron’s future business development, for Myself and My successors, assigns, agents, heris and legal representatives, I agree as follows:
1.1 To keep secret and retain in the strictest confidence all confidential matters of Heron, including, without limitation, protected client and third parties information, client names, client lists, prospective client lists, trade “know-how”, trade secrets, pricing policies, marketing plans, operational methods, technical processes, memoranda, notes, records, programs, codes, systems, computer information systems, reports, claims, inquiries and other business affairs of Heron or of any skilled professional, paraprofessional, custodian, support staff, employee, independent contractor, contractor, agent or supplier of Heron (hereinafter collectively referred to as “Confidential Information”), learned by Me heretofore or hereafter, and not to disclose them to any person, association, partnership, limited partnership, limited liability company, joint venture, corporation or any other type of entity or partnership, limited liability company, joint venture, corporation or any other type of entity or organization whatsoever (hereinafter collectively referred to as “Third Parties”) outside of Heron, either during or subsequent to My employment by Heron or otherwise, exept in the regular course of performing My duties for Heron.
1.2 Not to acquire, retain or use any of said Confidential Information, or any part thereof, or disclose to any Third Party such Confidential Information except as expressly provided by this Agreement. I agree that all of the foregoing items are and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Heron.
1.3 As used in Article 1 herein, “Confidential Information” shall mean any and all information that is transmitted or maintained in any form or medium (electronic, paper, or oral).
2. RESTRICTIVE COVENANT. I expressly recognize and acknowledge that Heron is engaged in the business of providing Translation and Interpreting services and activities reasonably related and ancillary thereto and that: (i) Heron has developed an extensive Business; (ii) its Business connections, referrals, and clients have been established and are maintained at great expense and are of great value to Heron; and (iii) that I desire to render services to Heron as and will thereby become familiar and possessed of the manner, methods, secrets and confidential information pertaining to Heron’s Business, including, without limitation, manner of operation, marketing plans and strategy, techniques of doing business, sales volume, patient care and lists of Heron’s patients, prospective patients and suppliers.
2.1 Therefore, in consideration of My association by Heron as an independent contractor and the receipt of compensation. I expressly covenant and agree that during the term of My association with Heron, and for a period of three years thereafter, I will not, directly or indirectly, for Myself or others, as proprietor, agent, representative, independent contractor, member, partner, limited partner, officer, director, shareholder, employer, employee or contractor:
(i) solicit, divert, contract or take away or attempt to solicit, divert, contract or take away anyone who is or was a client of Heron, either overtly or covertly, in an attempt to inform or induce them, to become patients of or to transfer their business to any company in competition with Heron; or
(ii) enter into or attempt to enter into any business in competition with Heron’s Business within any state in the United States or any country in the world in which Heron is doing business, or any successor or additional state in which Heron may be doing business during the term of this association; or
(iii) hire, contact, recruit, solicit, induce or attempt to persuade anyone who is an employee of Heron or was an employee to become an employee of or transfer his employment to any existing or new location where I may work or become associated with in any capacity, directly or indirectly, or any other company in competition with Heron’s Business or to enter into employment with another other company.
2.2 I further acknowledge that the restrictions contained herein are reasonably both as to duration and scope and are necessary for the protection of Heron’s legitimate interests and are an essential part of the consideration of this Agreement and Restrictive Covenant, and that the covenants contained in this Article 3, herein, have been freely and willingly made.
2.3 In the event any provision of this Agreement shall be determined in any circumstances to be invalid or unenforceable, such determination shall not affect or impair any other provision of the Agreement or the enforcement of such provision in other appropriate circumstances, and other remainder of this Agreement and of such provision shall be given effect, to the greatest extent lawful, so as to carry out the intention of the parties as manifested hereby. If any court of competent jurisdiction or alternative dispute resolution forum shall determine that may restrictive provision herein is excessive as to its scope of activity, duration, its geographic extent, or any or all thereof, such provision shall be amended as may be necessary to make such provision valid and enforceable, and I agree that such provision shall be valid, binding and enforced as so amended as though any invalid or unenforceable provision had not been included herein.
2.4 In the event of any breach or violation of the Restrictive Covenant provisions of this Agreement, then the running of the period herein specified shall abate during the term of such violation until such violation shall be fully and finally cured.
3. ENFORCEABILITY. I acknowledge and agree that any breach of any provision of this Agreement will cause immediate, irreparable harm to Heron and remedy available at law will be inadequate and do, therefore, agree that in such event Heron shall be entitled to injunctive relief against the threatened breach of the Agreement or the continuation of any breach against Me and against the Third Party involved in or connected with such breach without the need for Heron to prove actual or specific damages or harm and without the necessity of posting and bond in cash or otherwise, which rights shall be in addition to such other remedies as the law or equity may provide.
4. INDEMNIFICATION. I hereby agree to indemnify and hold Heron, its shareholders, directors, officers, employees, agents, representatives, successors and assigns, harmless from and against any and all claims, liabilities and obligations, of every kind and description, including reasonable attorney fees and costs, arising out of or related to: (a) any failure by Me to duly perform or strictly observe any term, provision, covenant, condition or promise set forth herein.
5. CONTROLLING LAW. I acknowledge and agree that this Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania without regard to the principles and rules of the conflicts of law thereof.
6. ARBITRATION, JURISDICTION AND VENUE. For emergency relief, injunctive or otherwise, I hereby consent to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Court of Common Pleas of Delaware County, Pennsylvania and waive personal service of any and all process upon Me and consent that all such service of process upon Me made by registered or certified mail directed to the address stated herein and service so made shall be deemed to be completed five (5) days after mailing. I waive any objection to jurisdiction and venue of any action instituted hereunder, agree not to assert any defense based on lack of jurisdiction or venue and consent to the granting of such emergency relief as is deemed appropriate by the Court.
Except for emergency relief, injunctive or otherwise, any and all controversies, disagreements, disputes, claims, or argument arising out of or relation to this Agreement, its performance or breach thereof shall be settled by arbitration in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, in accordance with the commercial rules then existing of the American Arbitration Association which shall be exclusive, final, binding and non-appealable. Judgment under the Award rendered may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. The cost of the proceeding shall be borne by the non-prevailing party and set forth in the award.
Further, in the event of an arbitration, suit or action is brought by Heron or Myself under this Agreement to enforce any of its terms, or in any appeal therefrom, I agree that the prevailing party shall be entitled to reasonable attorney’s fees and costs to be fixed by the arbitrator, trial court, and/or appellate court and shall be set forth in the award.
7. NOTICES. Any notices permitted or required under this Agreement shall be deemed validly given, made or served if in writing and upon the date of personal delivery or forty-eight (48) hours after deposit in the United States mail, registered or certified, addressed to the parties at the addresses set forth after their signatures below, or at any address as any party may, from time to time, designate by notice given in compliance with this Section.
8. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This Agreement sets forth all the promises, covenants, agreements and conditions between us with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior and contemporaneous agreements and understandings, inducements or conditions, express or except by a writing signed by the party charged therewith. Moreover, no waiver by Heron or Myself of any condition, or the breach of any term, covenant, representation or warranty contained herein, whether by conduct or otherwise, in any one or more instances shall be deemed or construed as a further or continuing waiver of any such condition, representation or warranty or of any other term, covenant, representation, warranty or condition set forth in this Agreement.
9. TERM. The term of this Agreement is for a period of one year from the date it is signed, with automatic renewal for subsequent one-year periods unless otherwise terminated. Either party may terminate this Agreement upon thirty days written notice.
AGREED TO BY:
Heron Language Services
Maria Allen Date
692 Burmont Rd.
Drexel Hill, Pa 19026