|21 NCAC 32B .1303 APPLICATION FOR PHYSICIAN LICENSE
(a) In order to obtain a Physician License, an applicant shall:
(1) submit a completed application, attesting under oath or affirmation that the information on the application is true and complete and authorizing the release to the Board of all information pertaining to the application;
(2) submit a photograph, two inches by two inches, affixed to the oath or affirmation which has been attested to by a notary public;
(3) submit documentation of a legal name change, if applicable;
(4) supply a certified copy of applicant's birth certificate if the applicant was born in the United States or a certified copy of a valid and unexpired US passport. If the applicant does not possess proof of U.S. citizenship, the applicant must provide information about applicant's immigration and work status which the Board will use to verify applicant's ability to work lawfully in the United States;
(5) submit proof on the Board's Medical Education Certification form that the applicant has completed at least 130 weeks of medical education and received a medical degree. However, the Board shall waive the 130 week requirement if the applicant has been certified or recertified by an ABMS, CCFP, FRCP, FRCS or AOA approved specialty board within the past 10 years;
(6) for an applicant who has graduated from a medical or osteopathic school approved by the LCME, the CACMS or COCA, meet the requirements set forth in G.S. 90-9.1;
(7) for an applicant graduating from a medical school not approved by the LCME, meet the requirements set forth in G.S. 90-9.2;
(8) provide proof of passage of an examination testing general medical knowledge. In addition to the examinations set forth in G.S. 90-10.1 (a state board licensing examination; NBME; USMLE; FLEX, or their successors), the Board accepts the following examinations (or their successors) for licensure:
(B) NBOME, and
(9) submit proof that the applicant has completed graduate medical education as required by G.S. 90-9.1 or 90-9.2, as follows:
(A) A graduate of a medical school approved by LCME, CACMS or COCA shall have satisfactorily completed at least one year of graduate medical education approved by ACGME, CFPC, RCPSC or AOA.
(B) A graduate of a medical school not approved by LCME shall have satisfactorily completed three years of graduate medical education approved by ACGME, CFPC, RCPSC or AOA.
(C) An applicant may satisfy the graduate medical education requirements of Parts (A) or (B) of this Subparagraph by showing proof of current certification by a specialty board recognized by the ABMS, CCFP, FRCP, FRCS or AOA;
(10) submit a FCVS profile:
(A) If the applicant is a graduate of a medical school approved by LCME, CACMS or COCA, and the applicant previously has completed a FCVS profile; or
(B) If the applicant is a graduate of a medical school other than those approved by LCME, COCA or CACMS;
(11) if a graduate of a medical school other than those approved by LCME, AOA, COCA or CACMS, furnish an original ECFMG certification status report of a currently valid certification of the ECFMG. The ECFMG certification status report requirement shall be waived if:
(A) the applicant has passed the ECFMG examination and successfully completed an approved Fifth Pathway program (original ECFMG score transcript from the ECFMG required); or
(B) the applicant has been licensed in another state on the basis of a written examination before the establishment of the ECFMG in 1958;
(12) submit an AMA Physician Profile and, if applicant is an osteopathic physician, also submit an AOA Physician Profile;
(13) if applying on the basis of the USMLE, submit:
(A) a transcript from the FSMB showing a score on USMLE Step 1, both portions of Step 2 (clinical knowledge and clinical skills) and Step 3; and
(B) proof that the applicant has passed each step within three attempts. However, the Board shall waive the three attempt requirement if the applicant has been certified or recertified by an ABMS, CCFP, FRCP, FRCS or AOA approved specialty board within the past 10 years;
(14) if applying on the basis of COMLEX, submit:
(A) a transcript from the NBOME showing a score on COMLEX Level 1, both portions of Level 2 (cognitive evaluation and performance evaluation) and Level 3; and
(B) proof that the applicant has passed COMLEX within three attempts. However, the Board shall waive the three attempt requirement if the applicant has been certified or recertified by an ABMS, CCFP, FRCP, FRCS or AOA approved specialty board within the past 10 years;
(15) if applying on the basis of any other board-approved examination, submit a transcript showing a passing score;
(16) submit a NPDB / HIPDB report, dated within 60 days of submission of the application;
(17) submit a FSMB Board Action Data Report;
(18) submit two completed fingerprint record cards supplied by the Board;
(19) submit a signed consent form allowing a search of local, state, and national files for any criminal record;
(20) provide two original references from persons with no family or marital relationship to the applicant. These references must be:
(A) from physicians who have observed the applicant's work in a clinical environment within the past three years;
(B) on forms supplied by the Board;
(C) dated within six months of the submission of the application; and
(D) bearing the original signature of the writer;
(21) pay to the Board a non-refundable fee pursuant to G.S. 90-13.1(a), plus the cost of a criminal background check; and
(22) upon request, supply any additional information the Board deems necessary to evaluate the applicant's competence and character.
(b) In addition to the requirements of Paragraph (a) of this Rule, the applicant shall submit proof that the applicant has:
(1) within the past 10 years taken and passed either:
(A) an exam listed in G.S. 90-10.1 (a state board licensing examination; NBOME; USMLE; COMLEX; or MCCQE or their successors);
(B) SPEX (with a score of 75 or higher); or
(C) COMVEX (with a score of 75 or higher);
(2) within the past 10 years:
(A) obtained certification or recertification or CAQ by a specialty board recognized by the ABMS, CCFP, FRCP, FRCS or AOA; or
(B) met requirements for ABMS MOC (maintenance of certification) or AOA OCC (Osteopathic continuous certification);
(3) within the past 10 years completed GME approved by ACGME, CFPC, RCPSC or AOA; or
(4) within the past three years completed CME as required by 21 NCAC 32R .0101(a), .0101(b), and .0102.
(c) All reports must be submitted directly to the Board from the primary source, when possible.
(d) An applicant shall appear in person for an interview with the Board or its agent, if the Board needs more information to complete the application.
(e) An application must be completed within one year of submission. If not, the applicant shall be charged another application fee, plus the cost of another criminal background check.
History note: Authority G.S. 90-8.1; 90-9.1; 90-9.2; 90-13.1;
Eff. August 1, 2010;
Amended Eff. December 1, 2013; January 1, 2012; November 1, 2011; October 1, 2011;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. March 1, 2016.